Monday, September 27, 2010

the mid-autumn day

In china, mid-autumn day is a festival that families get together in August 15th on the lunar calendar. But this year, our whole family celebrated the mid-autumn day abroad, in Calgary.
In the past years, our big families often got together and had dinner during festivals for as far as I can remember. There are seventeen people in my family. I have a grandma and a grandpa, four uncles and ants, an elder bother, two younger sisters, and a younger brother.Of course, western will call them my cousins. And I have lived with my parents and my grandparents since I was ten years old. We lived together happily in harmony. But when I was in grade three, my elder brother's family moved to Beijing, and they come back to met everyone only one or two times every year,even less. So sometimes my grandparents went to Beijing when they missed my elder brother. Now he studies in the USA. In addition, the elder one of my younger sister and her family has been in Calgary for five years. So the people who can get together were less and less year by year. Meanwhile there was always someone absent when we have dinner during festivals. That's a pity!
And now, I am one of the people who are absent. In Calgary, few people celebrate the mid-autumn day. And the moon cake is too expensive for us! So we ate sweet dumplings instead. In fact, that's a common day except that my parents went out to watch the full moon.
In China, people always say that the moon in the 16th is rounder than that in the 15th.So I took pictues for the moon the next day.
It was the most boring mid-autunm day I have ever experienced.

2 comments:

  1. maybe I really dont fit living in china coz this days 4 me just means vocation...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like this holiday was so special for you in China. I hope that next year will be better for you. I'm sure by next year, you'll have lots of friends, and you can have a big party!

    ReplyDelete